Date: 15th April 2014 at 5:20pm
Written by:

Vale boss Micky Adams has admitted that everyone associated with the club has been left shocked by the incident which has led to Daniel Jones leaving the Vale. The alleged incident, which occurred during training last Thursday, left captain Doug Loft with severe facial injuries. After the 4-2 defeat to Notts County on Saturday Adams revealed that the club would launch an internal investigation into events, but this was quickly followed by the confirmation that Jones had left the club.

The club should be applauded for their swift and decisive action, not something you could always comment on! Given the manner in which the club responded, it is slightly disappointing, despite the horrific extent of Loft`s injuries, that those images were splashed over the back page of a national newspaper by his legal team.

Jones initially impressed following his signing from Sheffield Wednesday last January. His signing on a two year permanent deal last summer was seen as something of a coup at the time. However, a succession of injuries and loss of form have hampered the former Wolves defender this season. He made 35 appearances for the Valiants during his spell with the club.

Speaking to Sky Sports News, Adams stated the incident had shocked him.

“I don’t want to go into the details of the incident other than to say as a football club we were shocked by it.

“It is different to anything that I have seen before because of the extent of it, but training ground incidents happen unfortunately. There is a lot of emotion and these things can happen.

“I can’t really say too much more than that we are disappointed as a club that it has happened. But for legal reasons I can’t say too much.

“He is out for the rest of the season it is disappointing because he has had an outstanding season. He is disappointed as well because he is out of contract in the summer.”

We wish Doug a speedy recovery and can only hope that it is not the last we have seen of him in a Vale shirt.